Monday, December 21, 2009

morning walk.

Walking to work every morning is quite an adventure. Not only does the sidewalk have many perilous holes into the gutter underneath (about 4 feet below), but it also serves as a public toilet. Walking on the street is generally preferable, considering the smell and the possibility of irreversible damage to footware (use your imagination). However, the risk then becomes the many vehicles that are unafraid to speed within inches of pedestrians. If you are adventuresome, this is actually quite thrilling. It is not quite so thrilling when you are hit. I have now been hit by a man on a bicycle, swiped by a rickshaw, and gored by one (very mean looking) cow.

To help you understand the nature of this daily journey, this morning I counted some of the most common occurrences.
I passed:
23 piles of human feces
16 stray dogs
11 fresh fruit carts
5 people begging for food
4 cows
3 slum communities
2 men urinating
1 (rather cute) rat living in a trash pile
1 scooter with 20 live chickens tied to it by their feet...clucking as they sped down the road.

...Ahhhh India, how I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment