Saturday, January 2, 2010

simple humility.

Walk in humility. I see this every time I glance at my foot. Every time I take a step forward it is with me. It is inked into my skin permanently. Many people warn against tattoos because of this, but I am so grateful for the permanence of this one. I need to be reminded to walk in humility…over and over and over and over again. How does this seem to slip to easily from my grasp? Sometimes my head swells in milliseconds and suddenly I feel as if I’m better than someone else, or I “deserve” something more than they do. Stop Claire! Stop! Look down! Look at your feet! And there it is: walk in humility.

Sometimes I think how stupid I am for asking the Lord for humility, for strength in perseverance, for patience, and love. The thing is, He's not some magician with a wand, ready to endow these virtues on his little people. He's a God of gradual growth, of experience, of life lessons. Because we are infinitely flawed, we need time and life to stretch us. He will, however, place us where we need to be in order to learn these things. It hurts at times, but when we make it through and look at these moments, in retrospect, we can see the lesson learned, and we can take it with us to the next.

I am currently in a place where I have ample opportunity to learn these things. Do I always enjoy this? No, not even close. Many frustrations present themselves every single day. But I rejoice in the fact that I serve a big God, a God whom I can always depend on, always go to with my concerns, with my hopes and fears. Simply take it to Him, to DAD, and lay it all down.
I’ve been thinking lately, about the process of simplification. There is something irresistible about a simple life…maybe because it is congruent with peace, with contentment. So why, then, does it seem so illusive? Why is the western culture seemingly running in the opposite direction of simplicity? In a society where more is better, where is there room for simplicity? The idea of a simple lifestyle gets shoved in the back of the closet, behind last year’s unused Christmas gifts.

I love teaching. I especially love teaching things I am passionate about. When I am teaching horseback riding lessons, the time flies faster than a hummingbird on steroids. But obviously the clock hasn't sped into overdrive...I am just 100% engaged.
But there is another reason I love teaching: to explain a complex idea or a difficult exercise, you must first break down the subject into the very basics. You must simplify. And in the very process of breaking something down, you actually learn more about it. Why is this? When you have mastered a subject, you don’t actually need to think about the basics anymore. In sports, your muscle memory has mastered the basic skills so that the brain can focus on more complex movements. This is the same for mastering a musical instrument, solving math equations, or producing beautiful artwork. It is an amazing trait of the human mind.
However, returning to the basics has its advantages.

I have been very privileged to have the opportunity to develop and teach a photography course for Oasis India. Throughout this process, I have been continually challenged in both my mastery of basic photography concepts and my communication skills (as my lessons are translated into two different languages, after English). Both of these things need to be simplified to the most basic level. However, this challenge pales in comparison to another area: telling my own story. In multiple settings here, I have been able to share my story, as well as teach messages on various subjects. There is nothing quite like boiling down your own life into a few simple sentences at a time. Something about this exercise is extremely significant. It forces questions like “who am I...really?” “How did I get to this place?” “What has influenced me?” "What is most important in my life?" And finally, “how does religion play into all of this?” This is possibly the most important part, but arguably, the most difficult. I realize what a challenge it must be for pastors, who, every Sunday morning, are expected to give an interesting, eloquent, and concise message and still be finished at a specific time. Steep challenge.
But, speaking in terms of simplicity, what a cool exercise to go through every week! Taking all the concepts floating around in your brain, simplify like crazy, then piece it all back together.

What if we all spent a little more time simplifying what we believe? People spend so much time arguing over vague principles, obscure passages, or minute differences in denominational practices. But what does Jesus say? It’s so simple!!

One of the teachers of religious law was standing there listening to the debate. He realized that Jesus had answered well, so he asked, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
Jesus replied, “The most important commandment is this: ‘Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.”
The teacher of religious law replied, “Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth by saying that there is only one God and no other. And I know it is important to love him with all my heart and all my understanding and all my strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. This is more important than to offer all of the burnt offerings and sacrifices required in the law.”
Realizing how much the man understood, Jesus said to him, “You are not far from the Kingdom of God.” (Mark 12:28-34)

There it is. Love God. Love others. Simple.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Claire, I love it! God bless you and your India family, and Happy New Year!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete