As May marches swiftly along, I begin to realize how little time I have left here in Nashville. Despite the excitement and drive I have to make this transition in my life, I will miss the people here immensely. It has been amazing to discover God within this community.
I am blessed.
Truly.
Why was it that I have been born into privilege, when so many are born into hopeless poverty? Why me? I could have just as easily been orphaned at 5 years in a township in South Africa, where the AIDS mortality rate is 50% of the population. Or I could have been born to a poor farming village in rural Cambodia and sold by my family into the Brothels in the bigger cities, because my family couldn't afford to keep me. Instead, I have been brought up in a lifestyle of opportunity and comfort. Despite my complaints of being a "broke" college student (oxymoron, thank you very much), or just starting out in a job and living on milk and cereal, I really possess more wealth than over 90% of people in the world. I cannot take this for granted. Money is power, and with power comes responsibility.
I cannot turn a blind eye to the atrocities that are happening in the world.
I have been working with a nonprofit organization called Freedom's Promise, but there are many other amazing organizations that have recently begun to shed light onto the darkness that is the modern day slave trade. Not For Sale (http://www.notforsaletn.org/) has started a campaign to spread awareness. Free for Life Ministries (http://www.freeforlifeministries.com/) is also doing some amazing work around the world. Please take some time to dig into this issue. Get involved in some capacity, even if that means simply signing up for an online newsletter!
Another great organization to check out is Love146 - see video below
No comments:
Post a Comment