Thursday, April 16, 2009

the devil is in the details.

Yes, it is true. Getting all the details for this trip ironed out is proving to be quite challenging. Often, I fall into bed so exhausted at the end of each day that it seems as if I am working three full-time jobs! However, God is good. With every frustration comes a ray of hope, and that is what keeps me going.
That, along with a persistent dream of a better world.
A world that I can help build.
Making small choices everyday that add up to something bigger in the end.
Picking up a piece to trash.
Picking up the phone.
A listening ear.
A smile.

I am constantly reminded of this through the kids I work with at school. Being an athletic trainer is often like being a medic, nurse, counselor, janitor, teacher, and nanny....all rolled into one. I find myself wanting to turn around and snap when someone whines about a minor injury, pours a bottle of disinfectant on their friend, or shamelessly flirts with four girls at once. Sometimes it takes a lot to see behind the tough outside, but there always a kid just needing acceptance. Often there is really something else going on, such as a parent in surgery, or a family going through a rough divorce. I love the days that I have time to sit down and really listen to them. Many times it is I who really needs to question my motives and response, not them.
That is the paradox of the Kingdom; I become more blessed by blessing others.

It is in giving, you receive. It is in dying, that you really live.

How often I forget. How often I get bogged down by the details of everyday and fail to see the bigger picture: that I am loved dearly by the God of the Universe, and to fully receive that love, I must give it away.

2 comments:

  1. Claire--I am SO excited for you. This is going to be a life changing experience and I know you will do an amazing job creating opportunities in the world for more people. Social justice work is vital to the development of our society and I absolutely resonate with your quote about throwing babies in the river. It's fixing a systemic problem and, as someone who works in this daily in the middle of Chicago, I know how challenging dealing with systemic problems can be. A friend said to me, "When you realize you are working for something much greater than yourself, you really get to know the people around you much more."
    Good luck-you will do so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CLAIRE! I am so excited for you, the website looks AMAZING! I love it, I am so inspired by your vision and I totally want to support you in any way that I can- I will be praying about exactly what I could do to help! I cannot wait to follow this blog and listen to your writings through this journey... I am totally proud of your faith in jumping out there to do this full time!!

    ReplyDelete