Thursday, March 4, 2010

a lot of "lasts"

There is much on my heart as I prepare to leave New Zealand for the second time. This time, instead of flying into the craziness of India, I'm flying into the complexity of my life at home and the many questions & challenges that await me, but also the excitement & opportunity that comes with it.

It has been nearly three weeks since I left India, and I'm afraid I left a piece of my heart firmly planted in that country. I hope to be able to continue a strong relationship with the staff of Oasis India and keep ties to that organization in order to do more work with them in the future. They are doing amazing things there and I am so fortunate to have been a part of it during this season of my life. Thank you again to those who contributed to the photography project! Stay tuned for more information about upcoming displays of the student's artwork in the States.

I have been so blessed to spend the last two weeks resting and enjoying the beauty of New Zealand as well as the company of some dear friends. It has been a time to rest and celebrate, but also to reflect on the past eight months of my life that have brought much change in both myself and my perspectives.

I recently heard Grace defined as "the transformative power of God that empowers us to live a life true to our God-given human calling."
This caused me to re-think many of my assumptions about grace and how I viewed it at work in my life. To be completely honest, until recently I hadn't thought much about grace at all.
I thought of grace as an unearned, undeserved blessing from God. However, if that is the case, then verses like Proverbs 3:34 (He mocks the proud mockers, but gives grace to the humble) don't make much sense. If grace is unearned favor from God, then the proud should get it too. But I realized that maybe I was getting mercy confused with grace. Mercy IS undeserved blessing from God, no matter what we do, God is always merciful. So....what if grace really is God's transformative power at work in our lives?? Wouldn't that be exciting?
Interesting, huh? I want that grace. I need that grace. If I am living out the Kingdom of Heaven in my lifetime, I need that kind of help because I can do nothing without it.
And what is our "God-given human calling?" ...to love Him and to love others. So simple, and yet so difficult without grace as a foundational part of our life. I also think that "calling" includes using the unique combination of gift and abilities given to each one of us. Sound daunting? ...want some rocket fuel?? I do.

I'm both excited and apprehensive to be back in "real" life. I have so many hopes and dreams, plans I really am passionate about dedicating my life to...but it isn't going to be easy. A big part of me wants to return to the security of my old job, with a consistent paycheck and health insurance. However, I know that isn't the next step for me. My next steps are going to require a lot more dependence on God. ...and a lot of GRACE.

I am currently in prayer for a working car once I arrive home, as well as a part-time job that will "pay the bills" but still give me time to begin building some of my dreams (more details on those to follow...still feeling a bit insecure about sharing everything until there are some solid foundations in place). If you feel led, please join me in praying for these things - prayer is powerful and God is SO faithful!! Also continued prayer for safety in travel, as I begin the homeward journey.

When naming this trip "A Journey for Justice," I didn't realize how much that phrase would end up meaning to me, and how fitting it would be for a life-long theme. Despite the fact that this particular trip is coming to an end, my entire life is going to continue to be a journey for justice. No matter where I am, I will still be on this journey....still learning, still growing, still desiring justice for the poor, the abandoned, the forgotten, the hurting, the lost and the least of this would. (I also have a small inkling that it won't be too long before I'm abroad once again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment